Content

1/72 Irish Contingent 14-15th Century

Saturday, November 9, 2013
One of the last groups I've been working on for the Medieval period is a group of Irishmen that I'll use for various engagements-- these are mostly foot soldiers, armed primarily with axes abut also with spears, glaves and other assorted pole-arms. You can see by the single base how I mount most of my foot; three in front with two in the second rank, offset between the others. The base is a pretty standard 60 x 40mm, since I mount most of my soldier on pennies, they fit perfectly on this size base, and the offset gives a thicker (though slightly less regular) appearance to the units. In a pinch, I could remove the individual  troops if needed, and the pennies offer some heft to the plastic figures. I still need to add some flags or pennants on some of these stands, though I haven't settled on any specific designs yet - if anyone has some suggestions for appropriate heraldry, please pass it on.


I cut the bases out of basswood--as I was taking the photos I noticed that the basing paint and "grass" is quite a bit darker that I thought it was--at least in comparison to the terrain boards, which I made some years ago. I'll explain a little more about how those were constructed in a future post.

I am still brushing up on my photography skills - I have cameras that are just fine for the job, but my available lighting needs help and I hope to supplement that as time goes on.  I will also be adding to this battle group very soon, as I recently acquired a package of Redbox Irishmen for the Wars of the Roses; they look very fine indeed, and should fill out this range quite nicely.  For now, I have put these in the box (to protect them from the cat) and returned to getting my work/hobby area better organized. More on that very soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Bookmark and Share

Translate

Wargaming Radio

Seen Elsewhere

Updates from Twitter

Follow by Email

Weekly TWR Newsletter

Weekly TWR Newsletter
Out Every Thursday - Military and Miniatures Wargaming News and Features

Latest From Miniature Wargaming

Latest Free Wargames Rules

Latest From The Miniatures Page

Great Wargaming Sites

About Us

I've been interested in wargaming ever since I started playing with my Marx toy soldiers in the backyard in the mid-60's, and then again when I came across Don Featherstone's Battles with Model Soldiers at the local library in the early 70's. About 20 years ago I started painting some medieval knights for my son as a Christmas present, and became re-acquainted with the hobby...[more]