Content

A Wargaming Work Area

Sunday, November 10, 2013
Like a lot of people over here in the States, I am lucky enough to have a decent-sized home that includes a large enough basement to accommodate my hobbies and interests, which are many. As an old advertising guy, I do have some regular freelance jobs and publishing work that I take on from time to time, and I need space to devote to these activities as well as a fairly large library that I've accumulated over the years.

Most of that work takes place in the upstairs office where I keep my better computer (still several years old) while my hobby-related web surfing and writing gets handled in the basement, where I use another PC to handle those tasks at a desk area where I can also do figure painting, research and other jobs that don't get too messy. [see the 1st photo]  One other nice thing about this space is that it allows me to multitask; if I am not listening to music or a podcast, I have our old projection TV on so I can catch a football game or some other show as I work.

Directly behind this space is my "workshop" room, where I have a modest workbench area that I use for larger-scale projects such as scenery, other items that require more room for assembly, or things that will require the use of spray-adhesive, hot-glue, spackle, flocking and other messy stuff...or the use of cutting or electric tools that just can't be accommodated at my desk. [see 2nd photo]  Though the room is big enough for most of these jobs and to hold my wargaming items, there's not a lot of extra room either - since the space is also used as a book storage overflow space and repository for Christmas decorations, as well as "the room where dad keeps all his stuff" - including all my 1:32 slot cars (Scalextric, etc.) and other models, old toys, computer equipment and other odds-and-ends.

This setup works out pretty well for just about all my hobby activities and scenery-making. [see photo 3] What I don't have is a dedicated wargames table; that would require me to take over the entire basement - and that is not about to happen any time soon. Besides, it's not as if I could leave games out for long-term play (we have a bad cat who loves to play with my stuff) - and I have portable tables that I can use with terrain boards or ground-cloths. There are other options, too: I've play-tested some rules on my workbench, and I've had some formal games with my friends upstairs in the dining room...so it's not a problem.

I've always enjoyed seeing what type of solutions that other people come up with in terms of developing a "hobby space" -  especially when limited room is an issue. It amazes me how creative some folks are at meeting those challenges. If you want to share your space, please drop us a link in the comments.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Bookmark and Share

Translate

Wargaming Radio

Seen Elsewhere

Updates from Twitter

Follow by Email

Weekly TWR Newsletter

Weekly TWR Newsletter
Out Every Thursday - Military and Miniatures Wargaming News and Features

Latest From Miniature Wargaming

Latest Free Wargames Rules

Latest From The Miniatures Page

Great Wargaming Sites

About Us

I've been interested in wargaming ever since I started playing with my Marx toy soldiers in the backyard in the mid-60's, and then again when I came across Don Featherstone's Battles with Model Soldiers at the local library in the early 70's. About 20 years ago I started painting some medieval knights for my son as a Christmas present, and became re-acquainted with the hobby...[more]